- RT @SantosFSanchez: #Cuba golpisas p patrulleros a opoc pacif en carretera central,echan gas pimiento encerrados dejando sin conocimien… 4 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba polic polit d Sagua La Grande, Villa Clara, amenazo al expreso politico Jorge Vazquez Chaviano con encarcelarlo, a… 8 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba miembros y directivos del FNRCDC-OZT reunidos en Rio Verde Boyeros bajo fuerte operativo policial 8 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba opositores celebramos 111 aniversario del nacimiento de La Republica de Cuba, queremos nuestra Patria Libre, Abaj… 8 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba Sede d PPDHC-AFAS en Rio Verde rodeada x esbirros castrista dentro 13 opositores, Boitel y Zapata Viven, Viva Cuba… 8 hours ago
- Momento en que recibieron Medalla Presidencial del Miami Dade College las @DamasdBlanco hoy en #Miami http://t.co/wKKWl8QoBP 8 hours ago
- @GloriaEstefan: "#Cuba: somos un solo pueblo y eso nunca va cambiar" 11 hours ago
- @GloriaEstefan le habla a las @DamasdBlanco sobre marcha en Miami en 2010 donde fueron mas de 100,000 personas #Cuba http://t.co/KNXeKmrUKu 12 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Yanelis Cabrera Bouza
July 10, 2012Posted by on
The Lady in White and spokesperson for the National Resistance Front, Sara Marta Fonseca Quevedo, was arrested at around 8 AM this past Monday, July 9th, in Havana, along with a group of other pro-human rights activists who had plans to carry out a tribute to the victims of the 13th of March Tugboat Massacre, which occurred on July 13th 1994, where the Cuban regime gunned down a group of Cubans- among them children and women- who were trying to flee the country in search of freedom aboard a tugboat.
In the case of Fonseca Quevedo, she remained behind bars until approximately 9 PM. She was first kept in the police unit of Cojimar and later in the 4th Unit of El Cerro. Another detainee was Yanelis Cabrera Bouza, also a Lady in White, who was released after an interrogation session during the afternoon.
Bouza told “Radio Republica” that, in her case, she was arrested separate from Fonseca Quevedo, when she was about to arrive to the spot where they had plans to carry out the peaceful activity, where they were to throw flowers into the ocean in memory of each victim of the massacre. When she was taken to the police unit of Alamar, uniformed agents accused her of trying to plan an illegal exit from the country, an accusation which is completely false, according to the dissident.
Upon being released, Cabrera Bouza head to the home of Fonseca Quevedo, where a number of dissidents were congregated, among them the independent rapper Rodolfo “El Primario” Ramirez, who also shared declarations with “Radio Republica”, explaining that the demonstrators were carrying out a vigil and a peaceful protest, demanding the immediate release of Sara Marta Fonseca, who suffers from numerous medical ailments.
During night hours, Fonseca was released, which was proven by a Twitter message she managed to publish on her account (@SaraMartaCuba). “From the PNR Unit in Cojimar, transferred to the 4th of El Cerro”, explained the message of the Lady in White, “liberated at 9:20 PM, they took away my sign with messages paying tribute to victims of Tugboat Massacre. My home is surrounded”.