- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA J Manuel SARDUY y Javier Delgado fueron requisados en plena via publica indistintamente en Camajuani VC por ofic … 2 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba Sede d PPDHC y FNRC en Catalina d Güines rodeada x represiva policia castrista,intentan impedir Vigilia x Libertad… 14 hours ago
- RT @Iliaricardo: #Cuba cede del PPDHC-AFAS en Catalina d Guines rodeada d esbirros castristas, 6 activistas arrestados violentamente se des… 15 hours ago
- RT @SayliNavarro: #Cuba Sin fluido electrico permanecemos los pobladores del mcpio #Perico desde las 6:47pm Ni velas ni chismosas, a oscura… 1 day ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba régimen castrista amenaza con propinar acto terrorista repudio a matrimonio opositor Gertrudis y Naoki en Banes-Ho… 1 day ago
- RT @felixncuba: #Cuba Arrestado activista del Boitel integrado a la UNPACU Alberto Sanchez Martiatu en Los Arabos Mtzas y llevado a Estacio… 1 day ago
- RT @bacardidecuba: #Cuba @FHRCuba Firma la petición de #conectacuba para llevar el libre #internet a los cubanos conectacuba.org 1 day ago
- RT @HablemosPress: #Cuba El joven activista Eider Frómeta Allen se encuentra detenido desde ayer en Guantánamo. Aun se desconoce de... http… 1 day ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Rolando Sánchez Duran
August 15, 2012Posted by on
This past Sunday August 12th 2012, 9 Ladies in White in the city of Holguin did not let their violent arrests at the hands of political police and State Security agents keep them from carrying out their habitual Sunday march towards the local Jesus Christ Redeemer of Men Catholic Church.
Zuleidis Perez Velazquez, member of the women’s group and resident of Holguin, was one of the 14 detainees taken into custody in a “very violent” manner. She adds that they were all “distributed throughout the province of Holguin, to different National Revolutionary Police Units, as if we were some sort of baggage. It was not until 12 PM that we were taken out of the units in cop cars, State Security vehicles, and buses. We were left in different points of Holguin, from 4 to 10 kilometers away from our homes“.
The rest of the detainees were Berta Guerrero Segura, Yoandra Garrido Silva, Mayra Silva, Mayra Rosa Rodríguez Silva, Romelia Pina González, Barbara Bauza, Marlenis Abreu Almaguer, Nelda Molina Leyva, Lidia Hernández Pérez, Rosa María Naranjo Nieves, Danay Mendiola, Glisedis Pina González, Eleney Villamonte Cardozo and Noemi Hidalgo Gómez.
Their were reports of arrests of three other male dissidents, Alexei Jiménez, Rolando Sánchez Duran and Luis Miguel Carralero, who also try to assist Mass each Sunday “because they are Catholics and members of the Church, and also morally show their support for us, the Ladies in White. Police agents have been arresting them each Sunday when they try to leave their homes, and they are usually taken to different and undisclosed locations“.
On the day before- Saturday August 11th- Perez Velazquez denounced that there were other arrests in Holguin: Marcos Limas Dalmao (husband of Adisnidia Cruz Segreo), Luis Manuel Gonzalez and Antonio Pupo Caballero.
However, Zuleidis explained that two women- Lisbeth Peña Hernández and Liliana Campo- managed to make it inside the church in Holguin, where they participated in Mass and then marched with their white clothes and flowers. As soon as the other 14 women were released, 9 of them were able to carry out their march successfully, defying the repressive forces.
“Despite all these setbacks, 9 of us Ladies in White were able to meet up after they released us, at around 1 pm, and managed to carry out our peaceful march on the same street where the church is located“, said Perez Velazquez, “this was something that our oppressors were not expecting, but we achieved it. They must be infuriated, but so they and the rest of the world know: we are not going to stop. Regardless of the detentions, the repression, and the beatings we are subjected to each and every Sunday, we are not going to stop. We are not taking steps back in this peaceful struggle“.
For more information from Cuba:
Zuleidis Pérez Velázquez- Cell Phone: +5358- 244- 778