- RT @ivanlibre: #Cuba La familia de Librado Linares denuncia a la policía política de ordenar a sus testaferros que (cont) http://t.co/hrRpp… 9 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba como opositors a un régimen abusador, defensors d DD.HH exigimos respeto x la vida x DD.HH,¿pq nadie s preocupo x … 9 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba vecinos dl lugar la atendieron pero el "gobierno"no,mi esposo y yo llamamos y ahora patrulla 014 la lleva a recibi… 9 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba 10am vimos una joven mulata en Ave d ls Psdts cerca d hospital Calixto Garcia enajenada buscando agua en la tierra… 9 hours ago
- RT @jangelmoya: MLDC-#UNPACU J.L.Centella(s.g.P.C España),R.Castro incita ala violencia contra @damasdblanco Que no se te olvide nunca 11 hours ago
- RT @IsaelCuba: #cuba El actv d la ADO Jose M Rdguez,encarcela2 x peligrosidad,està en celda d castigo y someti2 a torturas fìsicas y psicol… 13 hours ago
- RT @OLPL: Alguien tenía q llorar x Cuba vimeo.com/71256233 Sara Marta Fonseca lágrimas d coraje. Bello ser humano en medio d la muerte … 14 hours ago
- RT @criolloliberal: #Cuba #CL #HombresNuevos asaltan nuevamente el hogar del matrimonio opositor #Gertrudis y #Naoki en #Banes #Holguin +in… 14 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Odalmys Suarez
July 22, 2012Posted by on
As occurs every Wednesday, this 18th of July 2012, the “Vigils for the Freedom of All Cuban Political Prisoners” were celebrated across the island, while many Ladies in White also celebrated their monthly literary meetings.
From the province of Holguin, Lady in White Zuleidis Perez Velazquez informed that the literary meeting in that zone was carried out in the home of Berta Guerrero Segura, in the municipality of Cacocum. However, Perez Velaquez says that “from the very early morning hours- starting at around 3 or 4 AM- there was a large police operation set in motion in nearly all the surroundings of Holguin, as well as many other municipalities like Velasco, Cacocum, Banes, Gibara, Antilla, and right here in the city of Holguin” in order to try and impede the female activists from arriving to their destination.
Among the Ladies who were surrounded and were not able to make it to the meeting were Gertrudis Ojeda Suarez, Marta Díaz Rondón, Miladis Piñales Rosa, Daylin Guerrero, Lissette González Rodríguez and Odalmys Suarez (all from different municipalities). Meanwhile, 7 other women suffered arrests at the hands of the political police, among them Lidia Hernández Pérez, Rosaida González Escalona, Rosa María Naranjo Nieves and Lisbeth Pena Hernández.
4 women were able to make it to the home of Berta Guerrero- Nelda Molina Leyva, Romelia Piña González, Lisedis Piña González and Adisnidia Cruz where they were able to carry out their literary meeting.
Zuleidis Perez explained that the weekly vigil was carried out in her home in the city of Holguin. Previously, this vigil would be celebrated in the home of the now exiled Lady in White and independent journalist Caridad Caballero Batista. “Upon Caridad Caballero going into exile, here in the province of Holguin we decided to continue her hard work, through which she was able to achieve that many members of the Eastern Democratic Alliance w0uld meet. Now, we will continue these meetings, and we will be doing it from my house every Wednesday“.
Just as Caballero Batista would do it (who suffered a constant repression due to her tireless activism for freedom), Perez Velazquez also “let the activists present know about the arbitrary situations occurring in all of Cuba, all the arrests and more“, as well as the increasing level of activism.
Four men (human rights activists) were also arrested upon trying to arrive to the house, among them José Mir Cruz and Heladio Pupo Nieves. Regardless, the vigil was carried out with members of the Eastern Democratic Alliance and the Ladies in White.
“These arbitrary actions and all these violations which are being committed in these provinces have been occurring every single Wednesday as well as every Sunday, where they prohibit us from making it to Mass at church“, affirmed Perez Velazquez, “they arrest us, beat us, threaten us, and mistreat us“.
Despite these crackdowns by the regime, the Lady in White assured that the Resistance in the province of Holguin will continue standing firm against the dictatorship.
For more information from Cuba:
Zuleidis Perez Velazquez – Cell Phone: +5358- 244- 778 // Marta Diaz Rondon – Cell Phone: +5352- 771- 630 // Twitter: @MartaDiazRondon