- RT @santacuba1: Santacuba1 Activistas de derechos humanos en grua nueva c. De avila realizan caserolaso 8 y 30 pm en honor a jornada boite… 2 hours ago
- RT @maverik18: Alexander Tamayo #MCL q staba sancionado domiciliaria y debia firmar en cuartel PNR todos meses,le dejaron arrestado hoy x r… 7 hours ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Auxilio, Alexander Tamayo #MCL 38años, ahora en prision. Libertad para Alexander! +5353192883 7 hours ago
- RT @SantosFSanchez: #cuba terminada con exito puesta en exena la 2da parte del documental en plena calle bajo descomunal oper de la segurid… 8 hours ago
- RT @ColumbieJulio: #CUBA @Columbie julio este 25-5-2013 activistas en grua nueva c.de avila realisamos una marcha pasifica en honor a la… 8 hours ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Alexander Tamayo d #MCL, d San Agustin acaba d ser apresado por recoger firmas para el #proyectoheredia +5353192883 8 hours ago
- RT @eliecerpalma1: Dama d blanco noemis hidalgo gomez esta citiada por la policia politca para q no partcipe en la iglesia el domngo 8 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba denuncia Hugo Damian Prieto Blanco q 11 activ dl FLDB y FNRC-DC"OZT" estan arrestados x la policia politica, tlfno… 8 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Mayelin Montero la O
June 25, 2012Posted by on
In what members of Cuba’s opposition are describing as a “kidnapping”, this past Thursday June 21st in Contramaestre, Santiago de Cuba, a minor who is the daughter of an imprisoned Lady in White was taken from the home of a family friend by functionaries of the Ministry of the Interior (MININT) and taken to an orphanage, according to the former political prisoner and national coordinator of the Patriotic Union of Cuba (UNPACU), Jose Daniel Ferrer Garcia.
The case is that of the Lady in White Mayelin Montero la O who has been detained for various weeks in the Women’s Prison of Mar Verde due to her peaceful and public activities against the Cuban regime. Her 9 year old daughter, Amanda Montalvo Montero, was living with a trusted family friend- Milagros Borel- ever since her mother was taken to a penitentiary.
Ferrer Garcia explains that upon knowing that she was going to be arrested for her activities as a Lady in White, Mayelin Montero “left a written document in which she left her daughter under the care of this lady, Milagros Borel“.
“Considering that the young girl has been receiving lots of support from the Ladies in White, members of UNPACU, and activists of other dissident organizations“, continues Ferrer Garcia, “the political police was very bothered by this and had been threatening to take the child to a center for children without families“. And this was precisely what they did during the afternoon of June 21st.
Various MININT agents who claimed to be responsible for situations with minors, showed up to the home of Milagro and told her that they had to take the girl to carry out some required medical exams, promising to bring her back as soon as she was done.
In the end, however, upon seeing how long Amanda was taking to return back to her house, “Milagro demanded that the child be returned, but the agents informed her that she had already been taken to an orphanage“, denounced Ferrer Garcia. Milagro has not seen Amanda since that moment.
Meanwhile, Mayelin Montero la O has been carrying out a lengthy hunger strike from the Mar Verde Prison, demanding her freedom.
For more information from Cuba:
José Daniel Ferrer García: Cell Phone- +5353-146-740 // Twitter: @Jdanielferrer