- RT @HeraldOpEd: Jose Basulto: "It's offensive to Cuban American exile community what this administration has done by releasing Cuban spies." 1 hour ago
- RT @HablemosPress: Rechazo de la oposición cubana en la isla ante relajamiento de Obama, decenas de activistas también se oponen 2 hours ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Mi padre decia: Los diálogos entre las élites no son el espacio del pueblo Mi texto en el @PanAmPost_es http://t.co/mA6… 2 hours ago
- RT @ivanlibre: #Cuba 4 sindicalistas independientes q llegaron a terminar 3 d aeropuerto Itnl d La Habana retenidos por oficial Sabio d la … 2 hours ago
- "The freedom of #Cuba does NOT depend on the #UnitedStates" - an excellent article by young Cuban @RosaMariaPaya: bit.ly/1J9RogQ 2 hours ago
- @MiamiHerald It's not a division of young/old, it's a division of those who want 2 legitimaize a brutal dictatorship & those who don't #Cuba 2 hours ago
- Thank you @DaisyFuentes for being one of the few celebrities to speak up for the suffering Cuban people in #Cuba. Hopefully more follow. 2 hours ago
- Families of #BrothersToTheRescue victims criticize the new #US #Cuba accord - wsvn.com/story/27656510… 2 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Mauricio Martinez Diaz
October 1, 2012Posted by on
Zuleidis Lisbeth Pérez Velázquez, an active Lady in White and the delegate of the Independent and Democratic Cuba Party (CID) in Holguin, is denouncing that since this past 23rd of September, she and other activists from that group in the mentioned province have been receiving serious threats by State Security and political police officials.
“The threats have ranged from ridiculous things to more sublime things”, explains Perez Velazquez, “they are death threats, imprisonment threats, and threats that activists can no longer come to my house to carry out CID reunions”.
In addition, the agents have threatened local self-employed citizens, most of which are dissidents, with taking away their merchandise and removing their patents.
“They have also threatened underage children with kicking them out of schools and also have told some of the wives of dissidents who have jobs that they’d be kicked out of their work centers”, adds the Lady in White.
In other specific cases, Zuleidis says that the agents told dissident Martha Barbara Zapata Tomas that her sister- who lives outside of Cuba- would no longer be allowed in the country to visit her family. On Thursday, September 27th, various State Security officers arrived to the home of the activist Mauricio Martinez Diaz and told him that he would be taken to prison if he continued going to the house of Perez Velazquez and carrying activities which have to do with CID.
“All the activists have told their oppressors that they will not stop carrying out CID activities and that they will continue their struggle for the freedom of Cuba”, assures Zuleidis, “they have all said that this is a just cause and that they will accept no more threats or blackmail”.
The agents who have been threatening the dissidents are Rafael Chapman (State Security agent; one of the main oppressors in the area of Holguin, dedicates his time to threaten and detain activists), the agent known as Pavel, agent Yordanys Martinez Leon (who organizes acts of repression against activists—in fact, he was the one who would always impede the now exiled Lady in White Caridad Caballero Batista from leaving her home to assist Mass in the city of Holguin), and the chief of Confrontation for State Security in Holguin, agent Douglas Torres Pupo.
Click here for a more detailed description of other repressive actions carried out by these same regime agents (photos included).
For more information from Cuba:
Zuleidis Lisbeth Pérez Velázquez – Cell Phone: +5358-244-778