- RT @eriliranza: @micahierro @rrepublica sitiada por la policia politica la sede del MCJD en Villa Clara delegado Yoel Bravo reporta represi… 3 hours ago
- Esposa de 'El Critico', Yudisbel, dice q ella esta bajo vigilancia constante, y mas aun ahora por el dia de #DDHH como muchos otros en #Cuba 3 hours ago
- Angel Y Remon sigue protesta en Prision Las Mangas #Bayamo, niega a afeitarse y esta escribiendo "Cambio" en sabanas, paredes #FreeElCritico 3 hours ago
- RT @YoaxisM: Las amenazas de SeguridadEstado #Cuba a activistas por #DDHHCuba ya comenzaron. Mañana será día de represión como cada año #Fr… 5 hours ago
- RT @idolidiadarias: #DDHHCuba dice @felixcuba Detenidos Eduardo Pachecz y Francisco Villa de UNPACU en Cardenas Varios policias frente a su… 7 hours ago
- RT @CarlosMCuba: #Cuba arrestaron en Rodas al dirigirse a Sta Clara a los activistas Yudiel del Sol Lenrry Ramos Alexis Santana y Ihasmell … 7 hours ago
- RT @YanisbelValido: Declarada en cuarentena la prision Pendiente de Santa Clara por colera#Cuba 8 hours ago
- Tomorrow, Human Rights Day, Cuban dictator Raul Castro will speak at #Mandela funeral. While he speaks, we should tweet #Cuba's reality 8 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Luis Miguel Carralero
August 15, 2012Posted by on
This past Sunday August 12th 2012, 9 Ladies in White in the city of Holguin did not let their violent arrests at the hands of political police and State Security agents keep them from carrying out their habitual Sunday march towards the local Jesus Christ Redeemer of Men Catholic Church.
Zuleidis Perez Velazquez, member of the women’s group and resident of Holguin, was one of the 14 detainees taken into custody in a “very violent” manner. She adds that they were all “distributed throughout the province of Holguin, to different National Revolutionary Police Units, as if we were some sort of baggage. It was not until 12 PM that we were taken out of the units in cop cars, State Security vehicles, and buses. We were left in different points of Holguin, from 4 to 10 kilometers away from our homes“.
The rest of the detainees were Berta Guerrero Segura, Yoandra Garrido Silva, Mayra Silva, Mayra Rosa Rodríguez Silva, Romelia Pina González, Barbara Bauza, Marlenis Abreu Almaguer, Nelda Molina Leyva, Lidia Hernández Pérez, Rosa María Naranjo Nieves, Danay Mendiola, Glisedis Pina González, Eleney Villamonte Cardozo and Noemi Hidalgo Gómez.
Their were reports of arrests of three other male dissidents, Alexei Jiménez, Rolando Sánchez Duran and Luis Miguel Carralero, who also try to assist Mass each Sunday “because they are Catholics and members of the Church, and also morally show their support for us, the Ladies in White. Police agents have been arresting them each Sunday when they try to leave their homes, and they are usually taken to different and undisclosed locations“.
On the day before- Saturday August 11th- Perez Velazquez denounced that there were other arrests in Holguin: Marcos Limas Dalmao (husband of Adisnidia Cruz Segreo), Luis Manuel Gonzalez and Antonio Pupo Caballero.
However, Zuleidis explained that two women- Lisbeth Peña Hernández and Liliana Campo- managed to make it inside the church in Holguin, where they participated in Mass and then marched with their white clothes and flowers. As soon as the other 14 women were released, 9 of them were able to carry out their march successfully, defying the repressive forces.
“Despite all these setbacks, 9 of us Ladies in White were able to meet up after they released us, at around 1 pm, and managed to carry out our peaceful march on the same street where the church is located“, said Perez Velazquez, “this was something that our oppressors were not expecting, but we achieved it. They must be infuriated, but so they and the rest of the world know: we are not going to stop. Regardless of the detentions, the repression, and the beatings we are subjected to each and every Sunday, we are not going to stop. We are not taking steps back in this peaceful struggle“.
For more information from Cuba:
Zuleidis Pérez Velázquez- Cell Phone: +5358- 244- 778