- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Grupo (4) d activ dl MCR_UNPACU gritn lemas y consigns alegoricos a ls DD HH vispera dl 10 d Dic n Vueltas VC.Bue… 8 hours ago
- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Opositores d Sagua L Grande VC tiran volantas en calles centricas alegoricas a los Derechos Humanos vispera dl 10… 12 hours ago
- RT @CubaJorgeVC: #CUBA.oposi d S.la Grande en las calles+centricas lanzan volantas con consignas so- bre declaracion d D.Humanos yo si qui… 15 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba Opositors realizan cacerolazo en Majagua-C.Avila exigien2 cese represion d régimen contra dfensores d ls DD.HH. +i… 1 day ago
- RT @NiurcyCuba: #Cuba librado,Damaris,leonardo,Raul y Niurcy d; MCR integ a UNPACU realizan protta por 65aniv d los Derechos Humanos en cam… 1 day ago
- RT @EbenezerCuba: #Cuba 5 activ d MCR integrado a la UNPACU enarbolan pancarta y gritan consignas en la entrada d camajuani por 65 aniv d l… 1 day ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba esbirro Gaston amenaza con encarcelar a todos ls act d PPDHC-AFAS "q tendremos un fin d añño presos y q s acabaron… 1 day ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba esbirro DSE Gaston amenazo act d PPDHC-AFAS FNRC-OZT NeldoIvan EchevarriaPerdomo en s casa con encarcelarlo si va… 1 day ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Claudio Fuentes
May 23, 2013Posted by on
The graffiti artist Danilo Maldonado, better known in Cuba as “El Sexto“, was arrested by the political police on the night of May 17th in Havana when he was with a couple of friends and was going to buy himself a beer, just like any citizen has the right to do. The following videos were taken by Claudio Fuentes and Lia Villares and were published in El Sexto’s blog.
The agents which arrested the artist took a can of spray which he had in his pocket and he was taken to the Zapata y C police unit, where he was kept the entire night and where he was interrogated for his dissident art. In fact, one official told him that “the chief of the unit was offering a sum of cash for his capture”.
Maldonado was subjected to certain fingerprint exams and, later, officials entered his apartment where his pregnant wife was and began to carry out a search, taking with them his laptop, his digital camera, a number of spray bottles, artwork, canvases, paint, etc.
Some of these things were given back to him, while many others weren’t, as is the case of a painting which says “Down with Castro”, which the artist describes as one of his favorite works.
“What I felt during all of this was impotence…they want to reduce you to nothing”, expressed Maldonado in these videos, “they want to make you feel as if you represent nothing for this stupid grand machinery, this absurd thing which consists of praising communism as if it was God, and if you paint against it then you are no-one, not an artist, not anything. It’s something very absurd”.
Upon being released on Saturday, the police told him he had to remain “reachable” because he was still “under investigation” for painting according to his own conscience and abiding by the rules of no one else.
November 26, 2012Posted by on
Despite the fact that Antonio Rodiles is still behind bars in a Cuban prison, the show he help create- “Estado de Sats”- will go on, thanks to his friends and brothers in struggle- independent journalists, bloggers, activists, etc. In the most recent episode of the program, launched this past 16th of November, Orlando Luis Pardo Lazo (photographer and blogger) moderates the show, highlighting the presence of an empty chair which was “symbolically placed in his (Rodiles) memory and also a promise that, sooner or later, he will be with us again to continue this project“.
Rodiles remains detained in the Acosta Police Unit of Havana since this past 8th of November when he set off there to peacefully protest the arrest of various fellow dissidents. The wave of arrests started with the detention of independent blogger and lawyer Yaremis Flores. Afterward, other detainees included Yoani Sanchez, Laritza Diversent, Angel Santiesteban, Claudio Fuentes, Jose Diaz Silva, Veizant Boloy and others. All were released (some with pending accusations), except for Rodiles. His girlfriend, Ailer Gonzalez Mena, has been able to see him briefly and under the constant presence of State Security agents. She has described that he is physically bruised- due to various beatings- but that his spirit remains firm and convinced that he is doing what is right to defend freedom of expression.
Yoani Sanchez managed to publish an article on Huffington Post about Antonio Rodiles’ situation. The article was translated into English by Mary Jo Porter. Read it here.
Use the following hashtags on Twitter to demand the release of Antonio Rodiles: #AntonioRodiles, #Rodiles, #FreeRodiles, #LibertadRodiles.