- RT @FHRCuba: #Cuba Two years later: Oswaldo Payá’s death still waiting proper investigation ift.tt/WDf6xY 6 hours ago
- RT @JenHLab: Excited to be quoted by @billgertz @FreeBeacon about dangers of Chinese #ICT transfer to #Cuba & #USA #technology http://t.co… 3 days ago
- RT @C_disidente: Esposa de rapero encarcelado denuncia amenazas de la Seguridad del Estado - martinoticias.com/audio/74886.ht… via @MartiNoticias #Fre… 6 days ago
- En vez de darle tanta publicidad a un grupo musical que defiende la dictadura de #Cuba porque no hablamos de #FreeElCritico, rapero preso? 6 days ago
- RT @360UCV: #10S sociedad civil se concentro en el Palacio de Justicia para apoyar a estudiantes y Lopez #360ucv http://t.co/lIe50wHAIA 1 week ago
- RT @JulioLFonseca: EL PRIMARIO & JULITO feat RAPER ISSAC LAMBÓN 1: youtu.be/qofoW8WqKS0 via @YouTube #Cuba 2 weeks ago
- RT @JulioLFonseca: #Cuba cada opositor y cada organizacion cuenta, nadie es mas importante que nadie cuando d alcanzar la libertad se trata… 2 weeks ago
- RT @JulioLFonseca: #Cuba necesita de cada pensamiento que desee liberarla de la dictadura asesina-castrista. Todos contamos fuera y dentro,… 2 weeks ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Arianna Issac
July 27, 2012Posted by on
The home of the dissident couple made up by Yuniesky Dominguez Gonzalez (activist from the Patriotic Union of Cuba) and Taimi Vega Biscet (Lady in White) was the target of acts of repudiation and vandalism at the hands of communist soldiers during the 25th and 26th of July in Palma Soriano, Santiago de Cuba.
According to Dominguez Gonzalez, the repressive acts took place because of two reasons. Firstly because on the morning of the 25th, the neighborhood of “‘La Yuca” awoke to find numerous signs hung throughout military units which read “Raul [Castro], you killed [Oswaldo] Paya“. This is a neighborhood made up mostly by ministerial officers, soldiers, and members of the Communist Party. As a response, and without any proof, the local authorities accused Yuniesky of having hung the signs, retaliating against him with an act of repudiation. The activist narrates that the second reason why the violence occurred was because he had “put up a quote by Gandhi, various UNPACU logos, and the image of the recently deceased Laura Pollan” on the outside of his home during the night of the 25th.
The phrase by Gandhi which the dissident chose to hang on his house read: “What is Unjust Will Never be Just, Although Many Would Like it to Be“.
On the night of the 25th of July, mobs of soldiers and members of the Communist Party gathered around the house and began to shout offensive slogans like “Down with the worms” and “Down with imperialism”, common phrases which are required by the regime to be shouted during such acts.
On the morning of Thursday, July 26th, the activist adds that the oppressors “used children and sick elderly people as shields” to carry out another act of repudiation, and this time they threw asphalt to the front porch of the house, covering the phrases and other photos which were hung there. Afterward, an unidentified lieutenant colonel arrived along with Captain Lazaro, “who threatened with beating us and demanded that we leave that neighborhood“, affirmed Gonzalez. Forces of State Security and of the political police have been telling Yuniesky and Taimi to leave the neighborhood for a number of months now, saying that the neighborhood is “revolutionary” and does not accept any human rights defenders.
The activist couple has a 5 year old son who has also suffered constant threats to the point that he has psychological traumas. “Just this week, we had to take him to a psychologist precisely because of all the persecution which we are subjected to“, said Gonzalez. The minor had been extremely worried about his mother this past 18th of July when she was arrested and disappeared for more than 72 hours along with another Lady in White- Arianna Issac- when they were trying to get to the home of Belkis Cantillo. Both women were kept in punishment cells. During that time, the small child of Vega Biscet only cried and asked for his mother.
In regards to the arrest of his wife, Yuniesky says that the Lady in White affirms that during her time in a dungeon “she witnessed how the dictatorship is increasing their form of attacking the democratization process and of mistreating and beating women who simply want freedom of expression, freedom for all political prisoners, freedom for Cuba, and complete freedom for all its people. Taimi says that during the interrogation process, State Security officials called a doctor so that he would deny that Taimi had been beaten. Ironically, one of the agents asked the doctor how Taimi was feeling and told her that she was lying when she said that, because of all those repressive methods, she had suffered a miscarriage“, referring to events that happened during the beginning of 2012. “The agents simply laughed at Taimi when she said this“.
“She is very worried about the health of her son and his security, considering that he is totally unbalanced psychologically because of all the manipulations, arbitrary actions, and the persecution by the Cuban government“.
Despite that the military forces of the Cuban regime are demanding that these dissidents leave their home, both are affirming that they will not do it and that they will continue their civic activism. “State Security is wrong if they think that they can make us give in“, affirms Dominguez Gonzalez, “we condemn State Security of what could happen to us, of our integrity. We are in danger“.
For more information from Cuba:
Yuniesky Domínguez González – Cell Phone: +5352-997-961