- RT @primavradigital: #Cuba @AI #SOS #PrisionCombinadodEste Trasladan a #celdacastigo disciplinaria #presopolitico #OsvaldoRodriguezAcosta. … 51 minutes ago
- It's been 10 months since the Cuban regime has been ignoring demands of @RosaMariaPaya to find truth about @oswaldopaya's death in #Cuba 2 hours ago
- Family of @oswaldopaya has been tirelessly demanding an independent investigation to find the truth about incidents which led to his death 2 hours ago
- Today marks 10 months since Oswaldo Paya and Harold Cepero died in mysterious car "accident" in #Cuba. @RosaMariaPaya & family demand TRUTH 2 hours ago
- @jdanielferrer also highlights situation of some of the 40 political prisoners UNPACU has, among them Angel Remon: pedazosdelaislaen.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/jos… 2 hours ago
- Jose Daniel Ferrer: Summary of activism out on the streets of Eastern #Cuba: pedazosdelaislaen.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/jos… 3 hours ago
- Ciego de Avila activistas Jenni Barallobre and Santa Gonzalez arrested today, according to @SaraMartaCuba #Cuba 4 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba activ d MF-DC"Rosa Parks" Santa Glez Pedrozo y Yenny Barayobre Colombié arrestadas en Ciego d Avila,les impiden ir… 4 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Category Archives: Antonio Michel Lima Cruz
June 25, 2012Posted by on
As has occurred during the majority of Sundays of the present year, the Lady in White and independent journalist Caridad Caballero Batista was impeded from arriving to Sunday Mass at the Jesus Christ Redeemer of Men Church in her city of residence- Holguin- due to an extensive police operation headed by the repressive agent Yordanys Maritnez Leon this past 24th of June.
The mentioned agent- Martinez Leon- has been responsible for the majority of violent acts against Caridad Caballero, her family, and other Ladies in White from Holguin, ordering acts of repudiation, beatings and arrests of those mentioned activists in order to keep them from arriving to Church every Sunday to pray for the freedom of all political prisoners and for a democratic future on the island.
Caballero Batista explains that this Sunday, she awoke to find her home “completely surrounded by a police operation, which consisted of female police agents, numerous motorcycles, and other officers“. Because of this, the activist was not able to leave her home.
In Cacocum, Holguin, the Lady in White Berta Guerrero Segura was violently arrested by the political police at around 7:30 AM as she was trying to assist the same church in Holguin. Meanwhile, two Ladies in White in Banes- Gertrudis Ojeda Suarez and Miladis Rosa- were trying to travel to Caballero Batista’s home to later march to church but they were intercepted and impeded by State Security agents from leaving their town.
Caballero Batista added that in the same province of Holguin, on Saturday June 23rd, the Lady in White Adisnidia Cruz Segreo, who was visiting her children in prison, was arrested. Both of her sons are political prisoners- Marcos Maikel Cruz and Antonio Michel Lima Cruz. They were jailed for publicly listening to the rebellious and independent music of the rap-duo Los Aldeanos, and they have been considered prisoners of conscience. Adisnidia was detained upon leaving the prison and held behind bars until afternoon hours on Sunday, after Mass had concluded.
Despite this crackdown, Caballero highlights that “4 women were able to make it to mass in the city of Holguin“.
The former political prisoner José Daniel Ferrer García informed through ‘Háblalo sin Miedo’ that 4 Ladies in White managed to surpass police cordons and arrive to church in Bayamo. Ferrer Garcia added that 35 Ladies in White assisted mass in the Sanctuary of El Cobre in Santiago de Cuba, while another 7 women made it to Catholic Mass in Guantanamo.
From the province of Matanzas, Caridad Burunate informed through her Twitter account (@CaridadBurunate) that 6 Ladies in White (among them, her) made it to mass in the city of Colon, despite a strong vigilance on behalf of Cuba’s political police.