- RT @LobainaCuba: El jueves fue arrestado el miembro d Palenque Vision Ramon Olivares en Salvador,Gtmo,le fue ocupado camara d video. @marti… 3 hours ago
- RT @constantincuba: #Camaguey conmovido x muerte d madre y niña tras derrumbe q difundio @yiorvis2007 Caen edificios pero no se derrumba au… 6 hours ago
- RT @HablemosPress: #Cuba Denuncian pobladores d la #ComunidadOjodeAgua q agentes del operativo policial estan borrachos y amenazan d muerte… 6 hours ago
- RT @CubaJorgeVC: #CUBA.9 defen d DD.HH de S.la Grande asisti a misa ofrecidaxobispo Arturo en el dia d la Virgen Inmaculada Consepcion todo… 8 hours ago
- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Activ dl MCR_UNPACU repartn octavillas y periodicos Mensajero..y lanzn volantas alegorics a DD HH n Caibarien VC… 9 hours ago
- RT @Iliaricardo: #Cuba nuestra casa rodeada x policia politica, lada verde chapa particular, 3 motos, puesto d mando a 20 mts d nuestra casa 11 hours ago
- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Activ de MCR-UNPACU repartn volantas y octavillas en feria agropecuaria en Cumanayagua Cfgos alegoricas a DD HH v… 16 hours ago
- RT @jangelmoya: MLDC-#UNPACU En L.H. sitiadas por DSE varias @damasdblanco para q no asistan a misa en Iglesia d Sta.Rita 16 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
New political prisoner in Cuba: Ivan Fernandez Depestre
August 4, 2013Posted by on
Meet one of the newest political prisoners in Cuba, Ivan Fernandez Depestre (pictured above).
Ivan, who is approximately 40 years of age, recently joined the public opposition on the island, specifically the Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Civic Resistance Front and the group Awakened Youth. He was arrested by the political police on July 30th when he participated in a protest march in the city of Placetas, Villa Clara in honor of a fallen patriot, Frank Pais, along with other dissidents. The authorities kept him detained and quickly sentenced him on August 2nd to a 2 year prison term in the Municipal Tribunal of Placetas.
During the ‘trial’, Fernandez Depestre was accused under the ‘Pre-Social Dangerousness Law’, which could dictate time behind bars for any citizen just because the authorities think that person would be a danger in the future. The law has been used to send thousands of Cubans to prison without having had committed crimes, and it is specifically used against dissidents, especially young ones.
Jorge Luis Garcia Perez ‘Antunez’, former political prisoner and leader of the OZT Front, has been reporting about this case and has asked for more solidarity with the jailed activist.
“Ivan Fernandez Depestre committed the horrible crime of daring to go out with other pro-freedom activists this past 30th of July in a peaceful march, dressed with their clothes backwards, paying tribute to Frank Pais on the anniversary of his death“, declared Antunez in an audio published on his YouTube account.
The dissident leader added that the only detainee that day was Fernandez Depestre, explaining that the activist does not have family support and that his sentence was a method used by State Security to try and make him give up on his recently begun struggle.
Fernandez Depestre has been participating in numerous pro-freedom demonstrations in the city of Placetas during the months of June and July. He has been detained and beat by the political police on various occasions.
“I am calling on the international community to join in solidarity with this activist“, expressed Antunez. He also added that in light of Ivan’s sentence, there would be a campaign in and out of Cuba with the aim to demand his freedom through civic actions out on the streets.
Meanwhile, Antunez and his wife Yris Tamara Perez Aguilera, leader of the Rosa Parks Movement for Civil Rights, will carry out a trip abroad this August 4th to tell the world about Cuba’s reality and the political police has unleashed an operation of arrests and beatings against dissidents who have tried to say goodbye to the dissident couple.
More details on the Twitter account of Antunez: @Antunezcuba