- RT @eliecerpalma1: hoy en velasco fueron dtnidos y agredi2s fisicamnt por el mayor espinoza maikel cruz ,yamile herndz y su niña d 3 añitos… 11 hours ago
- RT @JustoLuisAlonso: #Cuba arrestado opositor Alberto Reyes en la mañana d hoy en la ciudad d Sta Clara 11 hours ago
- RT @IsaelCuba: #cuba @martinoticias Arrestads y amenazads cn 4 años d carcel Maikel Cruz Leyva y su esposa Yamilet Hdez Morales en Velasco.… 11 hours ago
- RT @martinoticias: Rodiles: "Me arrojaron al piso, me golpearon, me esposaron y me metieron en una jaula" #Cuba #DDHHCuba http://t.co/T8Qk0… 11 hours ago
- RT @marcmasferrer: #Cuba Lady In White Arlenis Pérez undergoes surgery after beaten by Castro goons on Human Rights Day #DDHHCuba http://t.… 11 hours ago
- RT @YoaxisM: Sntgo de #Cuba: Dama de Blanco operada urgente tras una pateadura de represor #NoViolenciaContraMujeres #DDHHCuba2013 http://t… 11 hours ago
- RT @AGRodiles: #Cuba Me informa Lourdes Esquivel que detienen hace unos minutos a Jose Diaz Silva al salir de su casa #porotracuba 12 hours ago
- RT @felixncuba: #Cuba EXTREMA VIOLENCIA de policia y turbas contra miembros UNPACU en SanLuisPRio en este minuto Perdi comunicacion en med… 12 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Ladies in White march in Cuba in honor of Mother’s Day
May 13, 2013Posted by on
The Ladies in White marched through the streets of Cuba this Sunday, May 12th, in honor of Mother’s Day, sending out greetings to Cuban women around the world, as well as a special tribute to Laura Pollan Toledo, deceased founder of the group. It was confirmed that some women suffered reprisals at the hands of the political police, although the majority were able to carry out their weekly march, flowers at hand, to assist Mass and pray for the freedom of all political prisoners.
In Havana, 48 Ladies in White marched down 5th Avenue accompanied by 29 male human rights activists. They dedicated their walk to all the mothers of the world, according to a tweet published by former political prisoner and dissident leader Angel Moya Acosta (@jangelmoya).
Leticia Ramos Herrería, representative of the group in Matanzas, said that a total of 17 women marched and assisted Mass in the entire province. She added that in Cardenas, city where she resides, “11 Ladies in White were able to march for 11 blocks after Mass all the way to the Monument of the Mothers, where we deposited 2 bouquets of flowers“.
After that tribute, Herreria explained that the activists began to shout “Long Live Laura Pollan” for various minutes. In this occasion there were no arrests but there was a constant vigilance by the police.
“Meanwhile“, recounted Leticia, “Citizens were congratulating us and wishing us a Happy Mother’s Day when we marched by them. There was a display of solidarity“.
In the province of Holguin things looked a bit different. Although 10 Ladies in White managed to arrive at their respective temples, some were arbitrarily arrested by the political police.
Berta Guerrero Segura, representative of the women’s group for the mentioned province, said that all the Ladies in White from Holguin “awoke that morning with their homes surrounded by State Security, under strict vigilance. The operation had started at dawn“.
Two of the detainees were Eimirce Cespedes Estrada (from Velasco, Holguin) and Yarelys Castaneda Almarales (Holguin). The latter “was detained together with her 1 year old son who she was carrying in her arms. Just like that, the political police took them to a dungeon for a number of hours“.
Her husband was also physically assaulted by various agents who applied a headlock on him when he came in defense of his wife.
Guerrero adds that Yolanda Perez Diaz, who is not a Lady in White but a member of the dissident Claridad Movement of Holguin, “was intercepted by agent Adony Charles, of State Security, who told her that she was on his bad side that morning and that he wouldn’t let her come out of her house“.
“I am denouncing the constant abuse, the harassment, and the psychological war carried out by State Security against us, the Ladies in White of Holguin. These violations are constant. In fact, they have told us that we will never be able to go to church“, said Guerrero Segura.
In Palma Soriano 33 Ladies in White marched and successfully made it to church while in the municipality of Santiago de Cuba another 21 Ladies made it, according to declarations made by Ana Celia Rodriguez to this blog. Rodriguez was one of the Cubans recently on hunger strike demanding the release of activist Luis Enrique Lozada Igarza. Her health, like that of the majority of all other former strikers, is still delicate.
The majority of the members of the Ladies in White are mothers and chose to dedicate the symbolic date in honor of so many women who have risked their lives fighting for the freedom of not only their families but also of the entire nation, as is the case of Sonia Garro Alfonso, a Lady in White and Cuban mother who is currently in prison and has been for 1 year and 2 months.
Not even on Mother’s Day does the regime respect these women, carrying out arrests and keeping them under strict vigilance, but they keep praying, they keep speaking out, they keep marching.
In honor of Mother’s Day, here’s a video made by the authors of this blog in 2012, in honor of the Cuban woman:
For more information from Cuba, contact:
Leticia Ramos Herrería- Cell Phone: +52-481-807
Berta Guerrero Segura- Cell Phone: +53-632-110
Ana Celia Rodríguez- Cell Phone: +52-996-531