- RT @LobainaCuba: @martinoticias En estos momentos turbas paramilitares irrumpen el hogar d la activ ADO Damaris Garcia en Velasco y golpean… 57 minutes ago
- RT @HablemosPress: #Cuba Hoy fui detenido junto a mi esposa Magaly Norvis por mas de 7 horas Intentabamos tomar imagenes d la represion en … 1 hour ago
- Masiva represion contra opositores hoy en #Cuba, contra todos los grupos. Arrestos, golpizas, allanamientos, actos d repudio #DDHHCuba2013 4 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba arrestado el opositor Hemly Valera Pérez frente a casa d opositor y periodista independ Rodolfo Noda Ortega en cal… 4 hours ago
- RT @LobainaCuba: #Cuba Arrestados en Baracoa los act Jorge Feria Jardinez y Roneidis Leyva Salas x repartir propaganda en las calles,ambos … 4 hours ago
- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Para culminar un dia nefasto por las violaciones a los DD HH me hacen acto politico-repudio en las inmediaciones … 5 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba act d PPDHC-AFAS FNRC-OZT realizaron Marcha Pacif en Rpto Mazorra Boyeros con cartel CESE REPRESION CONTRA PUEBLO… 5 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba act d PPDHC-AFAS, FNRC-OZT, ADO rodeados por represiva policia politica en casa del opositor Rafael Meneses en Los… 6 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Repression against Ladies in White increases, but they keep marching
April 8, 2013Posted by on
Each Sunday various arrests of Ladies in White in different parts of Cuba are reported, but this 7th of April, the first Sunday of the month, a group of 60 women were detained by the political police in the province of Santiago de Cuba, simply for trying to make it to Mass. Regardless, members of the group managed to march in other provinces, defying police operations organized by the regime.
Under the direction of Laura Labrado Pollan (daughter of Laura Pollan) and Belkis Cantillo (visiting from Santiago), 54 Ladies in White marched down Havana’s 5th Avenue after participating in Mass at Santa Rita Church, where they prayed for the freedom of all political prisoners, emphasizing the case of Sonia Garro, who has just recently been transferred to a hospital due to a skin infection obtained in prison, according to her sister Yamilet Garro.
These activists from Havana were accompanied by more than 30 men, all of them public dissidents.
In Matanzas province a total of 17 women marched and participated in Mass. 3 made it in Ciego de Avila and 10 in Guantanamo.
Pro-freedom activists Iván Hernández Carrillo (@ivanlibre), Sayli Navarro (@SayliNavarro), Ángel Moya Acosta (@jangelmoya) and Anyer Antonio Blanco (@anyerantoniobla) reported and confirmed these numbers in their respective Twitter accounts.
Despite 60 arrests in Santiago de Cuba, 4 women surpassed police cordons and made it to El Cobre National Shrine. In Holguin province, various Ladies were reportedly arrested.
It is common for these women from Santiago (many who hail from other Eastern regions) to leave their homes since Friday or Saturday to surpass police operations and arrive to mass at El Cobre Shrine. Many times they have to sleep at bus stations, cross and hide in fields or walk miles under rain and intense heat to escape police persecution. Some times, once near the temple they are refused vacancy by priests at the service of State Security.
On his Twitter account, Jose Daniel Ferrer Garcia (@jdanielferrer) explained this Sunday that “the Ladies in White of Santiago de Cuba, cross fields, hills, rivers and creeks to try and stay a night in the small hotel of El Cobre”.
The Ladies in White continue marching because they have already conquered a public space, all due to their 10 years of relentless perseverance. They will not allow any government soldier and/or official to take this space from them. The arrests may increase, but so too will the public demonstrations by these brave women.