- RT @eliecerpalma1: sitiada por el DSE PNR y bamda paramilitar la casa d juannier rguez en baracoa en ella estan admas ROLAN2 RGUEZ ,ISAEL P… 4 hours ago
- RT @martinoticias: @DamadBlanco en cuidados intensivos luego de golpiza #Cuba ow.ly/rGopn 9 hours ago
- RT @Liusantiesteban: Video #Cuba dia de los Derechos Humanos. Represion en el Copelia, centro de La Habana bit.ly/1dqAfxY #DDHHCub… 9 hours ago
- RT @YrisCuba: activista arrestado y golpeado p policía política , entre ellos Hugó Damian Prieto del frente de línea dura , Orlando Zap… 12 hours ago
- RT @YrisCuba: Por favor , para mas información llamar a Damaris Moyas al 53503347#cuba 12 hours ago
- RT @YrisCuba: SOS#Continúan , amenazas de violacion contra la niña de 7 años Yorgelis Contrera , Hija de Damaris Moya Portielis. . 12 hours ago
- RT @YrisCuba: SOS# cuba , solidarizarse con Damaris Garcia , desesperada por la salud de su pequeño niño policía política lanza gas… 12 hours ago
- RT @YrisCuba: Violentos arrestos contra oposición, a q teme el régimen porque lanzar gas y golpear niños. no basta con masacre del remorcad… 12 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Police applies absurd methods to repress a solidarity demonstration
March 27, 2013Posted by on
Agents of the Cuban political police arrested a group of 9 dissidents, members of the Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Civic Resistance and Civil Disobedience Front, in the city of Placetas, Villa Clara this Tuesday 26th of March when they were carrying out a public demonstration as part of the “Yris Tamara Perez and Calixto Martinez Cannot Die” campaign. The officials used violence against the demonstrators and, upon seeing that they did not have sufficient police vehicles to take the detainees, decided to tie some of the dissidents to a nearby porch until reinforcements arrived.
Jorge Luis García Pérez ‘Antúnez’, secretary general of the OZT Front, witnessed the events and confirmed that they occurred during afternoon hours. “These activists were carrying out a peaceful protest under the campaign to save Yris Tamara Perez and Calixto Ramon Martinez“, he recounted, explaining that the dissidents “took to the streets carrying signs with messages like ‘Justice for Yris and Calixto’ and ‘Don’t let them die’ when they abruptly assaulted and arrested by the police. The agents violently threw them against the pavement“.
The former political prisoner identified some of the detainees as Julio Columbie Batista, Maikel Almenteros, José Lino Ascencio López, Yunier Santana Hernández, Luis Enrique Santos Caballero, Yanisbel Valido Pérez and Orlando Almaguer.
The solidarity campaign was launched this March by the OZT Front after Yris Tamara Perez Aguilera, wife of Antunez and president of the Rosa Parks Movement for Civil Rights, was beat unconscious by police agents, causing serious health complications. Her problems intensified when doctors in different hospitals of Placetas and Santa Clara refused her admission or treatment under strict orders of State Security. Yris remains with ailing health, without medical assistance and in danger of being beat again at any time, just for stepping out of her house.
Meanwhile, ‘Hablemos Press’ reporter Calixto Ramon Martinez Arias has been imprisoned for 6 months now because of his work as an independent journalist. He declared himself on hunger strike this month and this Tuesday marked the 20th day of his protest.
The campaign demands medical attention for Yris Perez and the immediate liberation of Calixto Ramon, through demonstrations like vigils, protests, marches, etc.
“The police responded in a brutal and cynical manner“, added Antunez, as he explained that the usual methods applied such as beatings and arrests did not shock him, but he could not believe what he was seeing when “two of the activists- Yanisbel Valido Perez and Maikel Almentero Orama- were tied to a porch of a house located on Marti street when the police realized they did not have enough cars to take them all away at once“.
“This tells us that the regime is even losing the capacity to repress“, said Antunez.
Another protest with similar outcomes took place on Monday in the same city of Placetas when a group of dissidents from Camaguey, among them Daniel Millet Jimenez, arrived. A number of other activities have been reported throughout the island as part of this new campaign in solidarity with Yris Perez and Calixto Martinez.
“There are more of those who protest than those who repress“, assured Antunez, who added that the campaign will continue with more strength, energy and activism until the objectives are achieved.
For more information form Cuba, contact:
Jorge Luis García Pérez ‘Antúnez’- Cell Phone: +52-731-656 / Twitter: @antunezcuba