- RT @AimaraPerez28: #Cuba en 3ra unidad depolicia en Santa Clara activista del #CID Gladyz Medina Gzalez es interrogada por Coronel de contr… 59 minutes ago
- RT @martinoticias: Cuba, desde adentro: Los Almendrones #Cuba ow.ly/lmyec 1 hour ago
- RT @PorotraCuba: #Cuba cambia si tú quieres. Firma y comparte la Demanda Ciudadana Por otra Cuba porotracuba.org 1 hour ago
- RT @maritovoz: #PCC #Cuba no da visas a hnos d #USA para visitar nuestra iglesia y @USINTHavana las niega a miembros d la nuestra para ir a… 1 hour ago
- #FF @AdriBoschBlog @CarlosMCuba @Lori759 @RoderickNavarro @KennedyBolivar @radiomambi710 @periodista75 @MiscelaneasCuba @johnjsuarez 2 hours ago
- Un #FF especial para @angelyunier, rapero contestatario arrestado desde marzo. #PasaLaVoz #FreeElCritico: youtube.com/watch?v=HjUYIm… 2 hours ago
- #FF @DamasdBlanco @JFRangelCuba @CaridadBurunate @eriliranza @eliecerpalma1 @radaymatos @CubanetNoticias @jurisconsultocu @HablemosPress 2 hours ago
- #FF @joanantoni70 @MartiTempranito @Convozpropiarm @OLPL @TranslatingCuba @YaCubaHabla @manue_rv @maverik18 @luisenriquefg @anabelkisfg 2 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Tweet by Tweet, censorship cracks in #Cuba
March 1, 2013Posted by on
Each day, there are more Cubans who, through the “internet without internet”, use Twitter to narrate the real Cuba and to shatter censorship. They are dissidents, bloggers, intellectuals, farmers…Cubans hailing from diverse corners of the country. It’s difficult for them to send out these messages, considering that it costs 1 dollar (an elevated amount for Cubans), and yet, they still do it.
The following are a couple of follow recommendations of new or recent Twitter users, straight from the island:
Maydelis González Almeida
Resident of Quemado de Guines, Villa Clara, member of the Cuban Reflection Movement. She and her family are constantly persecuted by the political police but they continue defying the dictatorship out in the streets.
Carlos Michael Morales
An independent journalist and alternative blogger (‘El Amante de la Libertad’), Carlos Michael is also a member of the Central Opposition Coalition. He has used his account to denounce cases of political repression, social issues and achievements by pro-freedom activists.
Isael Poveda Silva
Member of the Eastern Democratic Alliance and of their information agency ADO-Press, Isael Poveda tweets from Guantanamo, narrating the reality of that Eastern region: cholera outbreaks, signs which appear in public with anti-regime messages, public marches, evictions, and more.
Santa Gonzalez Pedroso
A very brave Cuban woman, member of the Rosa Parks Movement for Civil Rights, she carries out frequent public protests alongside other dissidents in Grua Nueva, Ciego de Avila. Santa Gonzalez does an excellent job on Twitter denouncing human rights violations in that area and documenting the growing level of opposition.
Tweeting from San German, Holguin, Eliecer just opened his account, promising important news from the Cuba ignored by the state media. Palma has been reporting important social issues, like a recent massive strike by carriage drivers in San German.
Yanisbel Valido Perez
One of the most active young dissidents in the city of Santa Clara, Villa Clara province. Valido Perez is the representative of the Cuban Rafters without Frontiers Movement and member of the Rosa Parks Movement for Civil Rights. She is frequently arrested by the political police but does not stop carrying out public activities in favor of freedom, nor does she stop informing about them on her account.
These were just some of the new Twitter users from Cuba. Everyday there are more. Give them a follow!