- RT @eriliranza: @micahierro @rrepublica sitiada por la policia politica la sede del MCJD en Villa Clara delegado Yoel Bravo reporta represi… 3 hours ago
- Esposa de 'El Critico', Yudisbel, dice q ella esta bajo vigilancia constante, y mas aun ahora por el dia de #DDHH como muchos otros en #Cuba 3 hours ago
- Angel Y Remon sigue protesta en Prision Las Mangas #Bayamo, niega a afeitarse y esta escribiendo "Cambio" en sabanas, paredes #FreeElCritico 3 hours ago
- RT @YoaxisM: Las amenazas de SeguridadEstado #Cuba a activistas por #DDHHCuba ya comenzaron. Mañana será día de represión como cada año #Fr… 5 hours ago
- RT @idolidiadarias: #DDHHCuba dice @felixcuba Detenidos Eduardo Pachecz y Francisco Villa de UNPACU en Cardenas Varios policias frente a su… 7 hours ago
- RT @CarlosMCuba: #Cuba arrestaron en Rodas al dirigirse a Sta Clara a los activistas Yudiel del Sol Lenrry Ramos Alexis Santana y Ihasmell … 8 hours ago
- RT @YanisbelValido: Declarada en cuarentena la prision Pendiente de Santa Clara por colera#Cuba 8 hours ago
- Tomorrow, Human Rights Day, Cuban dictator Raul Castro will speak at #Mandela funeral. While he speaks, we should tweet #Cuba's reality 8 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Tweet by Tweet, censorship cracks in #Cuba
March 1, 2013Posted by on
Each day, there are more Cubans who, through the “internet without internet”, use Twitter to narrate the real Cuba and to shatter censorship. They are dissidents, bloggers, intellectuals, farmers…Cubans hailing from diverse corners of the country. It’s difficult for them to send out these messages, considering that it costs 1 dollar (an elevated amount for Cubans), and yet, they still do it.
The following are a couple of follow recommendations of new or recent Twitter users, straight from the island:
Maydelis González Almeida
Resident of Quemado de Guines, Villa Clara, member of the Cuban Reflection Movement. She and her family are constantly persecuted by the political police but they continue defying the dictatorship out in the streets.
Carlos Michael Morales
An independent journalist and alternative blogger (‘El Amante de la Libertad’), Carlos Michael is also a member of the Central Opposition Coalition. He has used his account to denounce cases of political repression, social issues and achievements by pro-freedom activists.
Isael Poveda Silva
Member of the Eastern Democratic Alliance and of their information agency ADO-Press, Isael Poveda tweets from Guantanamo, narrating the reality of that Eastern region: cholera outbreaks, signs which appear in public with anti-regime messages, public marches, evictions, and more.
Santa Gonzalez Pedroso
A very brave Cuban woman, member of the Rosa Parks Movement for Civil Rights, she carries out frequent public protests alongside other dissidents in Grua Nueva, Ciego de Avila. Santa Gonzalez does an excellent job on Twitter denouncing human rights violations in that area and documenting the growing level of opposition.
Tweeting from San German, Holguin, Eliecer just opened his account, promising important news from the Cuba ignored by the state media. Palma has been reporting important social issues, like a recent massive strike by carriage drivers in San German.
Yanisbel Valido Perez
One of the most active young dissidents in the city of Santa Clara, Villa Clara province. Valido Perez is the representative of the Cuban Rafters without Frontiers Movement and member of the Rosa Parks Movement for Civil Rights. She is frequently arrested by the political police but does not stop carrying out public activities in favor of freedom, nor does she stop informing about them on her account.
These were just some of the new Twitter users from Cuba. Everyday there are more. Give them a follow!