- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Activ dl MCR_UNPACU repartn octavillas y periodicos Mensajero..y lanzn volantas alegorics a DD HH n Caibarien VC… 45 minutes ago
- RT @Iliaricardo: #Cuba nuestra casa rodeada x policia politica, lada verde chapa particular, 3 motos, puesto d mando a 20 mts d nuestra casa 2 hours ago
- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Activ de MCR-UNPACU repartn volantas y octavillas en feria agropecuaria en Cumanayagua Cfgos alegoricas a DD HH v… 8 hours ago
- RT @jangelmoya: MLDC-#UNPACU En L.H. sitiadas por DSE varias @damasdblanco para q no asistan a misa en Iglesia d Sta.Rita 8 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba arrestada x esbirros d la represiva polic polit castrista. Abajo la dictadura. Vivan los DD.HH. 8 hours ago
- RT @SayliNavarro: #Cuba #RepresionenMtzas Detenidos y abandonados por escuela al campo Pedro A Betancourt Aleida Cofino @DamasdBlanco y Jo… 8 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba mi casa totalment rodeada x esbirros DSE paramilitars para impedirme asistir a Parroquia Sta Rita a Misa y marcha… 8 hours ago
- RT @LibradoLinares: #CUBA Grupo (4) d activ dl MCR_UNPACU gritn lemas y consigns alegoricos a ls DD HH vispera dl 10 d Dic n Vueltas VC.Bue… 20 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Important pro-freedom groups march together in Havana
February 23, 2013Posted by on
Members of the Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Civic Resistance and Civil Disobedience Front, the Patriotic Union of Cuba (UNPACU), the Pro Human Rights Party of Cuba Affiliated to the Andrei Sajarov Foundation, and the Miguel Valdes Tamayo Popular Movement for Human Rights marched together in Boyeros, Havana, this past Thursday 21st of February, demanding a free Cuba and paying tribute to Orlando Zapata Tamayo, political prisoner who died after a hunger strike and torture in prison 3 years ago this 23rd of February, and also in honor of the victims of the Brothers to the Rescue, Cuban-Americans who were shot down by the dictatorship over international waters for flying small planes trying to help rafters out at sea.
Sara Marta Fonseca Quevedo, Lady in White and member of the Pro Human Rights Party and the National Resistance Front, who is also a resident of Boyeros, could not participate in the demonstration but explained that the dissidents “marched peacefully down the centric Boyeros avenue, walking at least 300 meters while shouting anti-government slogans and slogans in honor of Orlando Zapata for the third anniversary of his death, a death which only has one culprit: the Cuban government“.
Zapata’s jailers beat him on various occasions during his hunger strike and refused him water. His strike, as well as his death, awoke a wave of solidarity amongst Cubans in and out of the island as well as non-Cubans around the world, eventually creating pressure against the Cuban dictatorship, managing the release of the rest of the political prisoners jailed during the Black Spring of 2003.
The march on Thursday culminated, without any arrests or acts of repudiation from the everyday people, at the home of Rene Ramon Gonzalez Bonelly, which is also the sub-headquarters of the Pro Human Rights Party, located in the Baluarte neighborhood of Boyeros.
However, minutes after, Sara Marta denounced that mobs organized by the regime had surrounded the house, starting an act of repudiation. Her own home was also under strict police vigilance.
Rene Ramon Gonzalez, member of the Pro Human Rights Party and of UNPACU, told this blog that mobs, made up by some airport employees and other figures of governmental organisms, surrounded his home and shouted verbal offenses at the 7 dissidents congregated there.
“There are 5 Suzuki motorcycles (of State Security), various police vehicles, and lots of police agents and State Security agents“, said Gonzalez at the moment of the repudiation. The dissident also denounced that “State Security is using underage children to participate in this act of repudiation. They told these kids to shout offenses at us. The mobs are even banging on our windows“.
The activist could not give an exact number of how many communist functionaries were in the mob attack, but said that there was around 100 or more. Actions like these are organized by the regime to try and make it seem as if it is the ‘everyday people’ who are attacking the dissidents, when in reality the victims of the repudiation affirm that the majority of times no neighbor participates in these acts of violence, only people who form part of the repressive units of the dictatorship.
González Bonelly later denounced that one police official, who he was not able to identify by name, “stood in front of one of the windows and made a gesture as if he was going to pull out his gun“, to threaten the dissidents inside.
The names of the other dissidents inside were Roberto Hernández, Mario Rafael Cala, Idania García Martínez, Bartolo Márquez Alcevo, Humberto Parada Miran and Henry González.
UNPACU’s YouTube channel posted an audio in the voice of Rene Ramon Gonzalez with further details of the happenings, which could be heard here.
On the following day, February 22nd, Sara Marta Fonseca denounced that the repressive operations continued around the entire Baluarte neighborhood. Among the surrounded homes were hers and also that of Gonzalez Bonelly. “Agent Camilo, of State Security, is leading this operation“, added Fonseca.
Once again, the regime responds with fear and violence upon witnessing civic actions out on the street, carried out by diverse dissident groups.
For more information:
Sara Marta Fonseca Quevedo- Cell Phone: +5353-379-011 // Twitter: @SaraMartaCuba
Rene Ramón González Bonelly- Cell Phone: +5352-379-813