- RT @HablemosPress: Rechazo de la oposición cubana en la isla ante relajamiento de Obama, decenas de activistas también se oponen 20 minutes ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Mi padre decia: Los diálogos entre las élites no son el espacio del pueblo Mi texto en el @PanAmPost_es http://t.co/mA6… 22 minutes ago
- RT @ivanlibre: #Cuba 4 sindicalistas independientes q llegaron a terminar 3 d aeropuerto Itnl d La Habana retenidos por oficial Sabio d la … 23 minutes ago
- "The freedom of #Cuba does NOT depend on the #UnitedStates" - an excellent article by young Cuban @RosaMariaPaya: bit.ly/1J9RogQ 32 minutes ago
- @MiamiHerald It's not a division of young/old, it's a division of those who want 2 legitimaize a brutal dictatorship & those who don't #Cuba 34 minutes ago
- Thank you @DaisyFuentes for being one of the few celebrities to speak up for the suffering Cuban people in #Cuba. Hopefully more follow. 36 minutes ago
- Families of #BrothersToTheRescue victims criticize the new #US #Cuba accord - wsvn.com/story/27656510… 39 minutes ago
- RT @DaisyFuentes: Formalizing relations w a torture regime means nothing if it can't help the people of #Cuba #freedom is a basic human rig… 21 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
The Citizen’s Demand for Another Cuba Continues to Count on Support of the Population
October 19, 2012Posted by on
The Citizen’s Demand for Another Cuba, document which demands the Cuban regime to respect the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and to ratify the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights and the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights, continues to count on increasing support and acceptance from the popultation, according to former political prisoner of conscience and leader of the Cuban Reflection Movement, Librado Linares Garcia.
Linares Garcia explains that this past Monday, October 15th, dissident Niurcy Acosta Pacheco, also from the Cuban Reflection Movement, handed out more than 50 copies of the Demand amongst the local population in the Central Park of the town of Vueltas, in the municipality of Camajuani, of Villa Clara province.
“While she was handing out the documents, an agent of the National Revolutionary Police known locally as ‘Guarapitos’ snatched the copies from her hands“, said Linares, pointing out that the activist did not accept this attitude from the official. “With tremendous civic courageness, Niurcy took back the papers from the agent’s hands and carried out a public protest and contnued to hand out the documents to the population“.
The police agent could not arrest the dissident, considering that she was receiving lots of solidarity from the everyday people. “These Demands for Another Cuba were very well accepted amongst the population of Vueltas“, affirmed Librado Linares.
Meanwhile, that same day dozens of other copies of the Demand were given out in the municipality of Quemado de Guines (Villa Clara) by the dissident couple Maydelis González Almeida and Nosbel Jomorca Beovides. Both of them told Linares that the initiative also had “a very positive acceptance among the locals” and that no arrests took place.
“Although the government is doing everything possible to oppress us and to confiscate all copies of the Demand for Another Cuba, it is getting very difficult for them. The document is being handed out, we are advancing very much and of all of this, the most important news is that the Cuban people are accepting the Demand and they also agree with the information in the document“.
Other activities such as vigils and concerts in support of the Citizen’s Demand for Another Cuba have been carried out throughout the island. Meanwhile, members of divese pro-freedom groups are also handing out copies of the Demand to their neighbors, everday citizens and even their oppressors.
Visit the website of the Citizen’s Demand for Another Cuba to read its content and add your signature by clicking here.