- RT @JenHLab: Excited to be quoted by @billgertz @FreeBeacon about dangers of Chinese #ICT transfer to #Cuba & #USA #technology http://t.co… 1 day ago
- RT @C_disidente: Esposa de rapero encarcelado denuncia amenazas de la Seguridad del Estado - martinoticias.com/audio/74886.ht… via @MartiNoticias #Fre… 4 days ago
- En vez de darle tanta publicidad a un grupo musical que defiende la dictadura de #Cuba porque no hablamos de #FreeElCritico, rapero preso? 4 days ago
- RT @360UCV: #10S sociedad civil se concentro en el Palacio de Justicia para apoyar a estudiantes y Lopez #360ucv http://t.co/lIe50wHAIA 1 week ago
- RT @JulioLFonseca: EL PRIMARIO & JULITO feat RAPER ISSAC LAMBÓN 1: youtu.be/qofoW8WqKS0 via @YouTube #Cuba 1 week ago
- RT @JulioLFonseca: #Cuba cada opositor y cada organizacion cuenta, nadie es mas importante que nadie cuando d alcanzar la libertad se trata… 1 week ago
- RT @JulioLFonseca: #Cuba necesita de cada pensamiento que desee liberarla de la dictadura asesina-castrista. Todos contamos fuera y dentro,… 1 week ago
- RT @YusmilaReyna: A la Virgen pediremos Libertad para el Critico Angel Yunier Remon para Alexander Otero presos politicos #UNPACU 1 week ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Exiled Dissident Family Identifies Oppressors in Holguin
August 16, 2012Posted by on
The story of Caridad Caballero Batista and her family is one of a renown activism in favor of Cuba’s freedom. Due to her tireless work as an independent journalist, activist of the Eastern Democratic Alliance and member of the Ladies in White in the city of Holguin, Caballero Batista, her husband Esteban Sandez Suarez and her son Erik Esteban Sandez Caballero were victims of constant repression at the hands of the political police, State Security, the Rapid Response Brigades and mobs paid and organized by the Cuban regime.
It’s no secret that Sunday after Sunday this family had their home in Holguin completely surrounded by repressive forces who would insult, mock, threaten, and in sum, arrest and beat them without pity, simply because Caridad would try to assist Sunday Mass at church. But the violence was not only on Sundays, but instead every day that this family would carry out a civic protest or meeting in their home, or whenever the dictatorship felt like it. In nearly all the cases of arrests, these 3 Cubans would be taken to the Instructional Unit of Pedernales, in Holguin, where they would be confined to pestilent, dark and humid cells, where they would face further tortures and beatings.
On June 2012, this family of freedom fighters went into exile in the United States, but they assured that they would continue fighting- in whatever way they could- for the freedom of Cuba. Now, they have shared a list (compiled by Erik Esteban Sandez Caballero) of some of the oppressors in the province of Holguin, in municipalities such as Banes, Cacocum, and Holguin. They are faces of the culprits of countless violence against this family and other dissidents like Marta Diaz Rondon, Franklin Peregrino del Toro, Berta Guerrero Segura, Ana Maria Aguilera Paneque, and many more. Faces of Cubans who were (and still are) in charge of oppressing other Cubans, simply because they are human rights defenders:
Yordanis Martínez León
This Chief of Confrontation of State Security in the city of Holguin is one of the main culprits of the fact that Caridad Caballero Batista could only assist Sunday Mass three times in 2012. During the papal visit to the island, he kept her from traveling to Santiago de Cuba to assist Mass. He is responsible for having surrounded the home of Caballero Batista each Sunday, and of arresting her on countless occasions. In fact, he would even snatch her purse and beat her.
Duglas Torres Pupo
He is also a Chief of Confrontations of State Security in the same city of Holguin. He has led violent operations to arrest Caridad Caballero and her family as they were on their way to church on numerous occasions (and for those dissidents in Cuba, still leads). Many times, he called a number of police vehicles, buses, Suzuki motorcycles and other vehicles to detain these peaceful activists.
This State Security agent from Holguin dedicates himself to threaten activists of that province, especially Ladies in White. In one specific case, he told Lady in White Ana Maria Aguilera Paneque on October 19th, 2011 that if she continued participating in dissident activities, her family would suffer the consequences. On October 25th 2011, he mocked and blackmailed the wife of dissident Denis Pino Basulto when the latter was arbitrarily jailed. As recent as July 2012, he has been in charge of setting up and carrying out operations to impede Zuleidis Perez Velazquez and other Ladies in White from marching to Sunday Mass in Holguin. Chacman would also threaten the family of Caballero Batista when they were still in Cuba.
TO SEE THE COMPLETE LIST OF OPPRESSORS FROM HOLGUIN COMPILED BY ERIK ESTEBAN SANDEZ CABALLERO, CLICK ON THE FOLLOWING LINK TO OPEN IT ON PDF FORMAT:
With each passing day, the impunity of the aggressors who work for the Cuban dictatorship is fading.