- La primera edicion de #PasaLaVoz la dedicamos al rapero contestatario Angel Remon "El Critico" #FreeElCritico: youtube.com/watch?v=HjUYIm… 31 minutes ago
- Invito a todos ver el nuevo proyecto "Pasa la Voz", una serie audio-visual que cuenta la historia de cubanos libres: youtube.com/watch?v=HjUYIm… 32 minutes ago
- RT @mspianoteacher: @oswaldopaya @RosaMariaPaya "Que no busquen entre los muertos al que está vivo", gústeles o no, ahora el Sr Payá está m… 3 hours ago
- #Cuba Graffiti artist “El Sexto” speaks after his arrest (Video): pedazosdelaislaen.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/gra… 3 hours ago
- #Cuba: Grafitero “El Sexto” habla tras su arresto (Video): pedazosdelaisla.wordpress.com/2013/05/23/gra… 3 hours ago
- RT @martinoticias: Cubanos en foro sobre libertad en Internet #Cuba #sif13 ow.ly/lkCUo 5 hours ago
- RT @FrankAbelCuba: #Cuba Santiago de Cuba , no cesan las acciones represivas contra activistas de la UNPACU asedios a vivienda y actos de r… 5 hours ago
- RT @ailermaria: #Cuba #DDHH Detenidos Kizzy Macias de Omnizonafranca y grupo reggae Estudiantes sin Semilla mientras filmaban video clip en… 5 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Amid Threats and Health Complications, Andres Carrion Continues Hunger Strike
June 23, 2012Posted by on
Andrés Carrión Álvarez, the Cuban who shouted ‘Down with Communism’ during the papal mass in Santiago de Cuba this past March, and who is also a coordinator of the Patriotic Union of Cuba (UNPACU), is still on hunger strike, according to the national coordinator of the mentioned organization, Jose Daniel Ferrer Garcia. With his protest, Carrion demands the return of numerous belongings which were recently stolen from him by the political police. He is also denouncing the increased level of repression against members of the internal Cuban opposition. As of this Saturday, June 23rd 2012, the activist has been on hunger strike for 13 days and is already starting to suffer some serious health complications.
“Carrion is feeling very bad. It is the first hunger strike he carries out,” explains Jose Daniel Ferrer Garcia, “he is currently carrying out his protest from bed, he feels very weak, with very strong pains. Relatives and members of UNPACU and other opposition groups are very worried about his health“.
Carrion Alvarez is carrying out his protest in the Vista Hermosa neighborhood, located on 5th Street, #6 in the city of Santiago de Cuba. According to Ferrer Garcia, this location is the “headquarters of the Wilman Villar Mendoza cell, which is an extension of UNPACU“.
During afternoon hours of this 23rd of June, another coordinator of UNPACU, Ovidio Martin Castellano, made an urgent call to the ‘Hablalo sin Miedo’ website, informing that in that same headquarters of the Wilman Villar Mendoza cell, where numerous activists were congregated to show solidarity with Andres Carrion Alvarez, was surrounded by the political police, which was carrying out an act of repudiation and was threatening to raid the home.
Just minutes later, the human rights activist Osmany Cespedes Napoles also left an urgent message on ‘Hablalo sin Miedo’, denouncing that the police forces finally did raid the home, taking Ovidio Martin Castellano and 5 other dissidents with them. According to Napoles, the 6 detainees were taken by agents of the National Police and of the Special Brigades, under orders of agents Brito and Dorky. They were mounted on buses and taken to an undisclosed location. As of now, their whereabouts are still unknown.
Meanwhile, Andres Carrion Alvarez continues his hunger strike.
For more information from Cuba:
Andrés Carrión Álvarez – Cell phone: +5352-997-989
José Daniel Ferrer García- Cell Phone: +5353-146-740 // Twitter: @jdanielferrer