- RT @MaryAnastasiaOG: 2.85 million visitors to Cuba in 2013. if cubans are isolated, don't blame u.s. policy: wsj.com/articles/mary-… 8 hours ago
- RT @marcmasferrer: On Twitter it's clear that most talking about #Cuba don't know anything or care anything about Cubans 8 hours ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Participa mañana en panel sobre nuevo escenario Cuba-EEUU con jóvenes de toda la región latinoamericana @JuventudLAC htt… 1 day ago
- RT @diariodecuba: El régimen hunde una embarcación con 29 cubanos ante las costas de Matanzas, denuncia la oposición fb.me/3K3mGUtFm 2 days ago
- RT @HeraldOpEd: Jose Basulto: "It's offensive to Cuban American exile community what this administration has done by releasing Cuban spies." 3 days ago
- RT @HablemosPress: Rechazo de la oposición cubana en la isla ante relajamiento de Obama, decenas de activistas también se oponen 3 days ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Mi padre decia: Los diálogos entre las élites no son el espacio del pueblo Mi texto en el @PanAmPost_es http://t.co/mA6… 3 days ago
- RT @ivanlibre: #Cuba 4 sindicalistas independientes q llegaron a terminar 3 d aeropuerto Itnl d La Habana retenidos por oficial Sabio d la … 3 days ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Lady in White: “We are Going to Continue Moving Forward and Nothing Can Hold us Back”
May 29, 2012Posted by on
After having surpassed police operations for two consecutive Sundays, this past 27th of May Lady in White and independent journalist Caridad Caballero Batista was once again arrested along with her husband Esteban Sandez Suarez as they were trying to assist Sunday Mass in the city of Holguin. According to the activist, the violence occurred under the orders of State Security official Yordanys Martinez Leon, a well known local oppressor.
“Just a few steps from my house, when we were trying to get to church at around 8:25 AM, agent Martinez Leon ran at me and quickly snatched my purse from my arm”, said the activist, explaining that “that is what this specific agent always does first”.
After the snatching of the purse, the official gave orders to a number of women dressed in green and who are members of the Ministry of the Interior to continue with the arrest. These agents twisted the arms of Caridad Caballero and shoved her into a police vehicle while other oppressors did the same with Esteban Sandez. Both were taken to the Instructional Unit of Pedernales where they were confined to small, sealed-off and inhumane cells until 12:15 PM.
Some other Ladies in White in the city of Holguin who suffered the same fate were Berta Guerrero Segura, Noemí Hidalgo Gómez and Adisnidia Cruz, among others.
According to Caballero Batista, there was a police operation consisting of constant vigilance and threats on behalf of countless political police officials throughout the entire week, until she finally was arrested on Sunday. “Wherever I would go during the week, I had State Security agents following me“, she said. “On Sunday, I awoke to find my house surrounded by a number of police vehicles State Security officials on motorcycles, National Police officers, and snitches from the Rapid Response Brigades“. The dissident said that the latter constantly keep a watch over her and other local activists 24 hours a day.
Despite the constant persecution, Caballero Batista points out that another 5 Ladies in White were able to surpass police cordons and assist Mass in the Jesus Christ Redeemer of Men Church this past Sunday.
“We are victims of all sorts of violations just for demanding our rights to religious freedom and the complete freedom of all Cubans, and for simply going to Church to pray to God for our loved ones and for the freedom of all political prisoners. But despite this repression, we are going to continue moving forward and nothing will hold us back. I am letting State Security know this, as well as Fidel Castro and Raul Castro…they will have to kill us, but as long as we have strength we are going to continue taking to the streets to demand our rights”, said Caridad Caballero Batista.
For more information from Cuba:
Caridad Caballero Batista – Cell Phone: +5352-629-749 // Twitter: @caricaballero