- RT @Liusantiesteban: Sonia Garro, El Crítico y el poder de las redes sociales. #FreeSonia #FreeElCritico #Cuba ow.ly/BwmZc #NewY… 6 days ago
- RT @JenHLab: Bypass gov censorship #Venezuela “@NTN24ve: Cómo burlar la censura que aplicó el Gobierno de Venezuela contra NTN24 https://t.… 6 days ago
- RT @FHRCuba: #Cuba Two years later: Oswaldo Payá’s death still waiting proper investigation ift.tt/WDf6xY 1 week ago
- RT @JenHLab: Excited to be quoted by @billgertz @FreeBeacon about dangers of Chinese #ICT transfer to #Cuba & #USA #technology http://t.co… 1 week ago
- RT @C_disidente: Esposa de rapero encarcelado denuncia amenazas de la Seguridad del Estado - martinoticias.com/audio/74886.ht… via @MartiNoticias #Fre… 1 week ago
- En vez de darle tanta publicidad a un grupo musical que defiende la dictadura de #Cuba porque no hablamos de #FreeElCritico, rapero preso? 1 week ago
- RT @360UCV: #10S sociedad civil se concentro en el Palacio de Justicia para apoyar a estudiantes y Lopez #360ucv http://t.co/lIe50wHAIA 2 weeks ago
- RT @JulioLFonseca: EL PRIMARIO & JULITO feat RAPER ISSAC LAMBÓN 1: youtu.be/qofoW8WqKS0 via @YouTube #Cuba 3 weeks ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
Holy Week: “Wave of Terror” Continues in Cuba
April 8, 2012Posted by on
The Lady in White Belkis Cantillo Ramirez was released from prison during the evening hours of Friday, April 6th. Ramirez had her home raided by a large number of political police agents and suffered a brutal arrest on April 2nd along with her husband, the leading dissident Jose Daniel Ferrer Garcia, who is still detained. The arrests of the couple was part of a repressive crackdown in Eastern Cuba which resulted in 43 arrests of human rights activists.
Cantillo Ramirez spoke with ‘Marti Noticias’, offering details about her arrest. “The political police broke into our home…they dragged me, they hit me on the head, they hit me on my stomach, on my breasts, everywhere“, the dissident explains, adding that her sister-in-law was also beat. In the case of Jose Daniel, Cantillo explains that he was taken, by force, out of the house without a shirt or shoes. According to testimonies of an activist who shared a cell with Ferrer Garcia and who was recently released, Ferrer remains in a jail cell in the same fashion he was taken out of his house.
The three children of Belkis and Jose Daniel witnessed all of the violence. The eldest of the daughters, 14 year old Martha Beatriz Ferrer, also explained to ‘Marti Noticias’ that, as her parents were being arrested, the police officers also confiscated books, cameras, phones, magazines, and even a frame with the photo of Laura Pollan, fallen leader of the Ladies in White.
On Saturday afternoon, the young Cuban explained to the same news agency that she was physically and verbally assaulted by regime agents as she was on her way to the El Cobre Sanctuary of Santiago de Cuba, in order to participate in Sunday Mass alongside other Ladies in White.
Meanwhile, Tania Montoya (also a Lady in White) informed that her husband, activist Raumel Vinajera, was still jailed as well in the police unit known as “Micro 9″. Vinajera was also arrested on April 2nd in his own home located in Palma Soriano. Montoya told this blog that the dissident Hector Felix Labrada was recently released from Micro 9 and he was sharing a cell with Vinajera. “He [Labrada] told me that my husband had very strong pains on his head and was suffering from dizziness“, explained the Lady in White, adding that “this is all because they beat him so much when they arrested him…it is very alarming“.
Montoya denounced that, just as it was done to Jose Daniel Ferrer and Belkis Cantillo, “our home was raided and they took everything- signs, magazines, books, etc. They also broke into the home of Raumel’s mother“. The same happened in the house of activist Aurora Martin, where according to Montoya “the agents broke off the railings around the house and raided the home, beating all those inside and then taking them jailed“. Among those beaten in the house was a sister of Aurora who “passed out” due to the amount of violence she received.
“The sister of Aurora suffered many beatings to the point that she lost consciousness and passed out. In the same fashion, they shoved her into a police vehicle. In addition, Aurora’s daughter was there with her 3 month old daughter. They also received physical blows, and even the little one received a blow on one of her legs“, added Tania Montoya.
The Lady in White described the repression as a “wave of terror” and informed that this wave continued through Friday, April 6th. “Today, April 6th, we confirmed that Jorge Cervantes Garcia (Contramaestre) and Juan Carlos Vazquez Osoria (Moa) were both violently arrested“.
Furthermore, the dissident narrates that she and other Ladies in White were able to make it to Mass this past 6th of April, precisely on Good Friday. “Once inside the church we prayed to our Lord Jesus Christ so that he give us strength to withstand all of this and to please bring freedom to Cuba“. Montoya also prayed for the dissidents who remain behind bars, among them José Daniel Ferrer, Dani López de Moya, Adriana Núñez, Santiago Castellanos and her husband Raumel Vinajera. Amnesty International also released an urgent action report, echoing the situation of the jailed activists.
“Here in Cuba, on one hand the regime releases some from prison while, on the other, they detain more“, expressed Tania Montoya, affirming that despite what may happen, this Sunday she will march to church, as will many other women throughout the island.
For more information from Cuba:
Tania Montoya – Cell: +5353- 146-329 // Belkis Cantillo Ramírez – Móvil: +5353-790-867