- RT @HeraldOpEd: Jose Basulto: "It's offensive to Cuban American exile community what this administration has done by releasing Cuban spies." 9 hours ago
- RT @HablemosPress: Rechazo de la oposición cubana en la isla ante relajamiento de Obama, decenas de activistas también se oponen 10 hours ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Mi padre decia: Los diálogos entre las élites no son el espacio del pueblo Mi texto en el @PanAmPost_es http://t.co/mA6… 10 hours ago
- RT @ivanlibre: #Cuba 4 sindicalistas independientes q llegaron a terminar 3 d aeropuerto Itnl d La Habana retenidos por oficial Sabio d la … 10 hours ago
- "The freedom of #Cuba does NOT depend on the #UnitedStates" - an excellent article by young Cuban @RosaMariaPaya: bit.ly/1J9RogQ 10 hours ago
- @MiamiHerald It's not a division of young/old, it's a division of those who want 2 legitimaize a brutal dictatorship & those who don't #Cuba 10 hours ago
- Thank you @DaisyFuentes for being one of the few celebrities to speak up for the suffering Cuban people in #Cuba. Hopefully more follow. 10 hours ago
- Families of #BrothersToTheRescue victims criticize the new #US #Cuba accord - wsvn.com/story/27656510… 10 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
National Front Convokes Unity, Civic Actions for the Liberation of Ivonne Malleza and Pays Tribute to Vaclav Havel
December 19, 2011Posted by on
Under a strict vigilance from the political police, various Cuban pro-democracy activists met on the morning of December 19th under the direction of the Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Civic Resistance and Civil Disobedience Front in the home of the distinguished dissident leader, Idania Yanez Contreras, located in Santa Clara. Among those present were Jorge Luis Garcia Perez ‘Antunez’, Rolando Rodriguez Lobaina, Luis Felipe Rojas, Delmides Fidalgo and Idania Yanez, whom all represent various dissident organizations such as the Eastern Democratic Alliance and the Central Opposition Coalition.
Numerous reports confirmed that a dissident by the name of Alberto Reyes was arrested as he was trying to get to the meeting. Despite this repressive atmosphere and constant vigilance on behalf of the regime’s police authorities, the dissidents discussed numerous subjects and launched various messages to the international community, among them an urgent call demanding the release of Ivonne Malleza, her husband Ignacio Martinez, and Isabel Haydee. The three Cubans have been arrested since Wednesday, November 30th after participating in a public protest in Havana’s Fraternity Park.
The following text was drafted by various members of the National Orlando Zapata Tamayo Front and it outlines the topics discussed in the meeting:
Declaration of the Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Front
The Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Civic Resistance and Civil Disobedience Front, in its work meeting with the Central Opposition Coalition and the Eastern Democratic Alliance, has agreed to ratify the alliance with these organizations due to the necessity of seeking the spirit of unity within the non-violent Cuban opposition. The National Front, after a fruitful interchange in regards to the different dynamics of Resistance tactics within the country, acknowledges the work and leadership developed by dissidents Idania Yanez Contreras of the Central Opposition Coalition and Rolando Rodriguez Lobaina of the Eastern Democratic Alliance. Yanez Contreras and Rodriguez Lobaina have effectively promoted and set forth civil activism and resistance in their respective regions. In the same vein, their personal characteristics have led to an increase of pro-democracy activists joining the struggle in both those regions.
The National Front expresses the moral compromise of all its activists with the memory of the martyrs Orlando Zapata Tamayo, Pedro Luis Boitel Abraham, Juan Wilfredo Soto Garcia, and Laura Pollan Toledo. The same way that their examples keep the spirit of the Front alive, we are calling on our activists to not allow anything to destroy the work previously achieved and to combat all forms of division and disenchantment within the dissident forces.
The National Front, and the participants of this work meeting, reaffirm the decision of continuing to carry out coordinated actions for solidarity, and demanding the freedom of Ivonne Galleza Galano, her husband Igancio Martinez, and another participant of the protest they took part in (Isabel Haydee), which led to the arrests of the three activists.
Also, on this day we send our condolences to the relatives and friends of the distinguished Czech politician Vaclav Havel. The National Front salutes his definitive and unobjectionable compromise with the freedom of Cuba.
-Executives of the Orlando Zapata Tamayo National Civic Resistance and Civil Disobedience Front
December 19th, 2011