- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba continua rodeada x esbirros DSE PNR y paramilitares Sede d PPDHC-AFAS en Catalina d Güines +inf Julian E Mtnez tlf… 2 hours ago
- RT @SaraMartaCuba: #Cuba nuestra casa en Rio Verde permanecio rodeada x polic polit desde noche dia 9 hasta 9am d hoy 10, nosotros reunidos… 15 hours ago
- RT @RosaMariaPaya: Aún no termina terror contra las familias en Velazco continúan golpes y sitio a la casa de Damaris del @MCL con más de … 15 hours ago
- Por cierto, Yudisbel Roseyo fue una de las tantas detenidas hoy en #Cuba. Durante el arresto le torcieron el brazo y golpearon en la cara 15 hours ago
- Agentes de la policia.le dijeron a Yudisbel Roseyo, esposa d Angel Remon, q la arrestarian si estaba con su hijo pequeno o no #DDHHCuba2013 15 hours ago
- RT @LobainaCuba: Daños a la casa d Damaris en Velasco y gases lanzados x militares son resultados dl ataque vs defensores d D.H. @martinoti… 16 hours ago
- RT @LobainaCuba: Tambien arrestados en Velasco los activ Marta alina Rodriguez perez walfrido perez Garcia y gelacio pupo verdecia. @martin… 16 hours ago
- RT @LobainaCuba: @martinoticias En estos momentos turbas paramilitares irrumpen el hogar d la activ ADO Damaris Garcia en Velasco y golpean… 17 hours ago
"Pieces of the Island"-An English Translation
An SOS for Yris Tamara Aguilera, Sara Marta Fonseca, Donaida Pérez, Yaimara Reyes, Julio Ignacio León, Eriberto Liranza Romero…
September 30, 2011Posted by on
Yris Tamara Aguilera
Sara Marta Fonseca
The worrying situation of the recently detained Cuban dissidents remains the same. Of the women arrested after a peaceful march through the streets of Rio Verde, Havana, very little is known, except that they have been severely beaten and the majority of them are disappeared, with unknown whereabouts.
Among them, one of the most worrying cases is that of Yris Tamara Perez Aguilera, who has various serious health complications. According to her husband, prominent dissident leader Jorge Luis Garcia ‘Antunez’, “various activists who witnessed the repression last weekend on September 24th (during the march marking the Day of the Resistance, held every 24th of the month) have affirmed that my wife Yris received a brutal beating and many kicks all over her arms and head“. The same occurred to Donaida Perez Paceiro and Yaimara Reyes Mesa, both of whom together with Yris are part of the Rosa Parks Movement for Civil Rights. “I am denouncing that these women are still arrested/disappeared and I am directly accusing the Castro dictatorship and its political police of this brutal repression and of everything that could occur“, declares Antunez, adding that, “the authorities of the country have been incapable of even informing the relatives of those jailed about their condition or their whereabouts“.
Antunez took the moment to also express gratitude for all the “signs of solidarity received from different parts of the world” and also emphasized that many dissidents within the island have also joined in solidarity. He mentioned protests which demanded the release of these dissidents in places like Palmarito de Cauto, Palma Soriano, and a hunger strike “being carried out right now by members of the Central Cuban Coalition, a group headed by Idania Yanez Contreras“. Up to the moment, the hunger strikers are Guillermo del Sol Perez, Michel Oliva López, Rolando Ferrer Espinosa, Alcides Rivera Rodríguez, and Julio Columbie Batista.
On the afternoon of Thursday, September 29th it was also reported that Eriberto Liranza Romero (detained on the previous day and released that same night) was once again arrested while he demanded to know the situation of Sara Marta Fonseca and her husband Julio Ignacio Leon, both detained. During night hours of that same day, Antunez published a Twitter message in which he informed that ‘Julito’ Leon Fonseca, son of Sara and Julio Ignacio, was finally able to see his mother for a few minutes after he protested for hours in the 4th Police Unit of El Cerro. According to Antunez, ‘Julito’ denounced that his mother has clear marks of a severe beating and was in a poor state of health. He also learned that his father had been checked in to the Carlos Finlay Hospital of Marianao in the Prisoners Unit. The information comes from an audio accompanying Antunez’s Tweet, which can be heard in Spanish here.